Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Language is a Virus


Next up:
Women in Electronic Music - 1977
Make no mistake, This is NOT Electronica. It's experimetal. Some of it is lovely. Some of it will
make you think your speakers are shot. Some of it is downright creepy. But all of it is interesting.
There was a Picture of Laurie Anderson in the liner notes that was so old that she had normal looking hair. I don't have that picture to post right now because I had to check it back in.
Libraries don't let you check stuff out forever you know.
Laurie Anderson's two songs on this CD pre-date Big Science by 4 or 5 years.
By the way, Anderson was commissioned in 2004 to be NASA's artist-in-residence.
Article here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15916-2004Jun29.html
I dunno, I just thought it was weird that NASA would need a performance artist to promote themselves.
If I knew anything more about the other Women on this Compilation, I'd probably say something about them. I can say that Bye Bye Butterfly by, Pauline Oliveros is one of the weirder songs I've ever heard and I listen to a lot of weird stuff.
If any of you ever go to the Library, don't neglect the Classical Section.
Which is where I found this one.
CDs like this often drive Librarians crazy because they don't know how to classify them.
I've even found Brian Eno CDs under Jazz.
Here's an Amazon link
and the Track and Artist List:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000005TY7/103-2441401-7123805?v=glance&n=5174

1. Music Of The Spheres - Johanna M. Beyer
2. World Rhythms - Annea Lockwood
3. Bye Bye Butterfly - Pauline Oliveros
4. Appalachian Grove I - Laurie Spiegel
5. I Could Sit Here All Day - Megan Roberts
6. Points - Ruth Anderson
7. New York Social Life - Laurie Anderson
8. Time To Go - Laurie Anderson

Quick Stats
Women In Electronic Music
Composers Recordings
64 MB Lame 3.96.1
192 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/20734412/CrapWIEM.rar.html
pw = fooey
Just for the hell of it here's a nice Laurie Anderson Video. You can even see Adrian Belew if you look real hard.
Language is a Virus

4 Comments:

At 5/18/2006 1:33 AM, Blogger marxbert said...

mmm, a Pauline Oliveros piece. I think this falls in the "Holy crap, I can't believe they have this" range...

off to a very fine start!

 
At 5/18/2006 1:47 AM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

I've never heard of her before I got the CD. It's quite strange. I like it.

Thanks for the comment.

 
At 5/21/2006 3:23 AM, Blogger captain volcano said...

thanks very much!

 
At 5/21/2006 12:10 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

You're welcome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home