Saturday, June 24, 2006

Hey kids, do you like your Rock 'n Roll to be loud,

abrasive, mostly unintelligible, simple, extra sloppy, and played by 4 Women that don't seem to be too concerned with pitch, melody, or timing.........with a screechy violin? Then today's offer from Escape Goat's Rock 'n Roll Library is just for you. Representing England, that takes to the pitch tomorrow against Ecuador, is The Raincoats debut album from 1980: The Raincoats. If the above description doesn't appeal to you, you probably should avoid this one and wait to see if I post some Bananarama or the Go-Go's. (Mr. Ride Your Pony has some Go-Go's up right now) This is just a perfect example of post-punk D.I.Y. attitude by an all-female band that was somewhat uncommon in punk music at the time. I'd heard of them when I checked this out, but I wasn't aware of the cult-like love the critics and many others had for them. I think it mainly stems from this, "In 1992 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana went into the Rough Trade shop in London in search of a new copy of The Raincoats and Jude Crighton sent him round the corner to see Ana da Silva. Cobain wrote passionately about this meeting in the liner notes of Nirvana’s Incesticide album." So if Kurt Cobain loves them, you know Spin Magazine loves them. In fact, they love them so much they were awarded with the #9 position in their, " The 50 Most Essential Punk Records" that you can find here:
http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/spin100.html#Punk Records Incredibly enough, they think this album is more essential than the Sex Pistols' "Never Mind the Bollocks" album, but I think they're a little goofy in the head on that one. See how much clout Kurt Cobain had and still has. There's a few other laughable Spin Magazine lists there as well. Of course AMG loves them too and gives this one 4.5 stars. (Escape Goat Note: Many reviewers of this Album throw around the term, "avant-garde" to describe it. Singing off key and playing out of tune instruments every once in a while is not, "avant-garde." Trust me, I know what avant-garde is and this ain't it.) It also appears that this CD is somewhat rare due to the, "3 used & new available from $49.99" price tag Amazon has on it. So is it as great as everybody claims it is? I don't know, but it's definetly worth having and their cover of the Kinks' "Lola" is worth the price of admission. And yes, I really found this at the Library.
As far as the game goes tomorrow, I'll have to say that I'm more impressed by Ecuador's play than England's, but that's probably because I had higher expectations for England than I did for Ecuador. Ecuador is a fast and sneaky team that may cause problems for England, but I think England will start getting their act together. Is Beckham afraid to have people touch him or touch anyone on the pitch?
England 2
Ecuador 1

Track List:
1. Fairytale In The Supermarket
2. No Side To Fall In
3. Adventures Close To Home
4. Off Duty Trip
5. Black And White
6. Lola
7. The Void
8. Life On The Line
9. Your'e A Million
10. In Love
11. No Looking

Quick Stats:
The Raincoats - The Raincoats
40 MB
160 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/24004970/Crapcoats.rar.html
pw = Lola

2 Comments:

At 6/24/2006 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:lol: I can remember buying this when it came out more than a decade ago, just because Kurt mentioned it in the Incesticide liner notes. Those were the good old days. Kurt Cobain helped bands like the Vaselines, Raincoats, Wipers, Poison Idea, and Daniel Johnston sell records just by dropping their names.

 
At 6/25/2006 4:20 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

My new idea is to say Kurt Cobain really dug this album and it influenced his song writing and playing for everything I post. I have a pretty off-color Don Rickels comedy CD I was thinking about posting sometime. So now when I post it, I'll say Kurt Cobain was greatly influenced by Don Rickels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home