Thursday, June 22, 2006

"Grandfather informs me that this is not possible"

That's pretty much the response I get when I ask my CD collection for something to represent one of the eight teams playing today. It's also one of the funniest lines from the excellent film Everything is Illuminated. (Trust me, it's funny in the context of the film.)

Today's post is a bit of a stretch. Most of the musicians on the soundtrack for Everything Is Illuminated are not Ukrainian. However there is at least one Ukrainian-born muscian on the album, Eugene Hütz of the band Gogol Bordello, and the film itself is set mainly in the Ukraine. Therefore, I claim that this soundtrack is a valid post, representing today's Ukraine v. Tunisia match.

The film stars Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood) as a third-generation American Jew who travels to the Ukraine to search for the woman who saved his grandfather’s life during the Nazi liquidation of his family shtetl. The aforementioned musician Eugene Hütz also plays a large role in the film as Frodo's translator. It is an excellent film, and you really should watch it if you haven't. I have some issues with the end of the film, but I'm not here to give spoilers.

Most of the music from the soundtrack "sounds" Ukrainian as far as I can tell, even if the musicians aren't all Ukrainian. There are songs by the bands Leningrad, Gogol Bordello, and Tin Hat Trio, to name a few, but most of the tracks are compositions by Paul Cantelon, performed by a roster of musicians too long to list here. It really is a nice soundtrack, regardless of whether you've seen and/or enjoyed the film.

I have no score prediction for the Ukraine - Tunisia match, but I think I can safely predict that none of today's matches will be as crazy nor as exciting as yesterday's Croatia - Australia match. Go Socceroos!

http://rapidshare.de/files/20217720/illum.zip.html
pw = sunflowers

4 Comments:

At 6/23/2006 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a treat- a very premium post with most premium musical crap to offer! I rented E.I.I. about a month ago & loved it! And the music is very cool. I love the dialogue about how many girls want to get carnal with him because he is such a premium dancer. And about the seeing eye bitch! Haha.
Anyway I'm not one for football, or sports in general (I'll admit I find football one of the more interesting sports, though)- but I like your library crap & the World Cup theme music.
You must have a cool (premium) library- I don't think I could find this stuff at mine.
Cheers!
~Eliza

 
At 6/23/2006 3:21 AM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

I thank you for your most premium comments. It is reluctant for me to remind you that I, L. Chupacabra, post crap that I did not find at the library. I am wishing every library owns this. Glad you enjoyed it.

 
At 6/28/2006 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just watched the movie last night and thought it was a real treat, though I too had 'issues' with one major element of the ending. I'm sure you know what I mean. Looking forward to hearing the soundtrack - I didn't realise it was available.

Cheers!

 
At 9/29/2006 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's a beautifull album and film too.
tin hat trio my favorite song.
Bye bye from Italy.
Niomix

 

Post a Comment

<< Home