Monday, June 12, 2006

Organ Works

France plays Switzerland Tuesday. I have very little French music and no music to represent Switzerland. I do have a collection of organ music by French composer Jehan Alain (1911-1940), performed by Eric Lebrun on the Cavaillé-Coll Organ of the Church of Saint-Antoine des Quinze-Vingts in Paris, France. It's on the Naxos label, which produces quality classical recordings at very decent prices. According to their guide, "The A to Z of Classical Music":
"Son of the composer Albert Alain and brother of the famous organist Marie-Claire Alain, the French composer and organist Jehan Alain left a fascinating body of music for piano and for organ, much of it published after his premature death in action in 1940. A pupil of Marcel Dupré, Paul Dukas and Roger-Ducasse, Alain wrote music of originality, within the French tradition to which he belonged."

That doesn't really tell me anything. All I know is I like organ music and I like this recording, and it's French. If you want to read more about Jehan Alain, you can do so on the Naxos site. I offer, for your listening pleasure, Alain: Organ Works Vol. 1

http://rapidshare.de/files/22902461/organ.rar.html
pw = france

2 Comments:

At 6/18/2006 1:19 AM, Blogger marxbert said...

thank you very much. um, i think you may have the date wrong--1911 instead of 1811...or else the premature death comment wouldn't make much sense...

but i like 20th century organ music as well. thank you.

 
At 6/18/2006 5:41 PM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

Damn typos. I'll fix that, thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home