Thursday, June 01, 2006

"People of Valencia! I bring you bread!"

That's what El Cid (Charlton Heston) says to the people of Valencia. I'd be a little disappointed if that's all El Cid brought for me. Well unless he promised to bring some ham and swiss the next time. In that case I'd be pretty excited.
Miklos Rozsa's - El Cid popped into my head today for some reason and that's why it's here. The Library has lots and lots of cool old film scores like this one and I dig 'em. It's been a long time since I've seen El Cid so I don't remember much about it. However, if you keep these 4 things in mind,
1. Huge Hollywood 1961 Blockbuster Epic.
2. Stars shirtless Charlton Heston.
3. Stars almost shirtless Sophia Loren
4. This Film Score
then you don't really need to see the movie. The film score tells you the whole story in your head.
You will know when an Army is marching into a battle. When a battle is taking place, and when the battle is over by the sad music they play when the camera pans slowly over the wounded and dead on the battlefield. Between battles there are some love scenes. You know this because they play gentle love scene music while Charlton Heston probably has Sophia Loren in a vice-grip like embrace while smashing his lips into her face. I guess they used to kiss like that back in the olden days. P.S. You could also read the song titles, they kind of tell you what's going on as well. Ok, now that I've ruined the movie for you forever, let's talk about the film score.
I like it. It's exactly what you would expect from a Huge Hollywood Blockbuster Epic. Miklos Rozsa is no slouch, he did a lot of film scores for these type of movies. Ben-Hur (which is #21 on AFI's Greatest film scores list), King of Kings, Julius Caesar, Sodom And Gomorrah, and The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad just to name a few. So you have a good idea of what you're getting here.
There are at least 5 different versions of El Cid that I've seen. This version is on the Koch label that was recorded in 1995 and isn't even on Amazon and although listen on AMG, the track titles aren't.

Miklos Rozsa did a ton of film scores!


Track List,
01 - Overture
02 - Prelude
03 - Courage And Honor
04 - Fight For Calahorra
05 - Palace Music 1
06 - Palace Music 2
07 - Palace Music 3
08 - Road To Asturias
09 - Wedding Night
10 - Coronation
11 - Love Scene
12 - El Cid March
13 - Battle Of Valencia
14 - Death Of El Cid
15 - Legend And Epilogue

Quick Stats:
Miklos Rozsa - El Cid (Film Score)
91 MB
192 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/21973924/El-Crap.rar.html
pw = Chuck

5 Comments:

At 6/02/2006 3:39 AM, Blogger marxbert said...

Miklos Rozsa composed music for children as well! Here's "The Jungle Book"
http://www.kiddierecords.com/2006/archive/week_08.htm

 
At 6/02/2006 11:26 AM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Thanks man, that's a cool link.

 
At 7/25/2006 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halloo! Thank you for uploading El Cid! I've been trying to get it from *my* library for the longest time. :) Any chance your library has more classic soundtracks available? *chuckles* I've been trying to borrow 'The Ten Commandments' OST and the 2-disc version of 'Ben Hur' for a looooooong time now and no one wants to fulfill my ILL requests! *cries*

 
At 7/26/2006 9:24 AM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Halloo Annie!
You're welcome. I actually did check out the, "Film Score" to Ben Hur, however it was the film score to the original 1925 version. The 1925 SILENT Version. I believe it was written and scored in 1989 to be played in an Orchestra pit for showings of it. I didn't like it very much so I didn't keep it.
No such luck on The Ten Commandments either. However, I have plenty of other Classic Film Scores. A couple of them are extremly rare out of print editions. Check back in a few days I'll put one up for you.

Once again thanks.

 
At 7/26/2006 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home