Saturday, May 27, 2006

Some Brazilian stuff.

Brazil Blue: I have far better Brazilian stuff than this one and will probably post some, but this one was just sitting there so I thought I'd put it up. The Hemisphere (EMI) series of compilations are usually pretty good. Hemisphere's: "The Story of Fado" is exceptional! There's a few big shots on the track list as well as some people I've never heard much of. This one is kind of hit and miss. There's some great light breezy uptempo toe tappers, but there's also some cheezy schmaltz. This compilation plays it pretty straight with nothing out of the ordinary. It's not terrible, but it's not exactly awesome either. Only a few real keepers. This is just my opinion. You may feel different. There's only one way to find out.

Track List:
1. Regra Tres - Doris Monteiro
2. Nereci - Djavan
3. Cidade Vazia - Milton Banana Trio
4. Sarau Para Radames - Paulinho Da Viola
5. O Cantador - Victor Assis Brasil
6. Comecar De Novo - Ivan Lins
7. Sao Tome - Flavio Venturini
8. Bate-Papo - Os Choroes
9. Chorando Baixinho - Abel Ferreira
10. Copacabana - Bola Sete
11. Samba De Uma Nota So/Surfboard - Joyce
12. Corcovado - Joao Gilberto
13. Emotiva No.1 - Helio Delmiro
14. Ecos - Joel Nascimento
15. Fica Mal Com Deus - Quarteto Novo
16. Milagre Dos Peixes - Miton Nascimento
17. Choro De Mae - Wagner Tiso
18. Nem Uma Lagrima - Nana Caymmi

Quick Stats:
Brazil Blur (Hemisphere)
73 MB
160 kbps (lame)
http://rapidshare.de/files/21542136/BrazilB.rar.html
pw = hemisphere

5 Comments:

At 6/09/2006 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, there are some truly superb cuts on this comp - very hard to find, too.

You might want to check out a copy of Chris McGowan & Ricardo Pessanha's The Brazilian Sound (Temple U. Press) for more info. on a lot of these artists.

 
At 8/25/2006 6:52 PM, Blogger J Thyme...kind said...

Give this record a better listen & a better review. It deserves it. You're kinda off the map here. This is a solid listen, if you enjoy the range of Brasilian music.

 
At 8/26/2006 12:21 AM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

I'm sticking to my original thought. I have far better stuff from Brazil than is represented on this comp.
It's all a matter of taste.

 
At 8/31/2006 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought copies of this, for myself and for friends, because some of the cuts on this album are pure gold and otherwise impossible to find - mostly the instrumental cuts. (Radames Gnattali, Abel Ferreira, etc.)

I think you're kind of missing the good stuff here. No worries, it took me time to learn to like choro....

e.c.

 
At 9/09/2006 1:37 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Thanks E.C.
I'll never ever pretend to be an expert on Brazillian or any music for that matter. I just go by my ear.
You could be very well right that it's just the Choro style that I'm not big on.
But I do want to thank you for your comments. I learned something, and that's always a good thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home