Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Oh my God, Mali is the next Cuba!

This is what some A&R guy from the Putumayo label says about the potential of Malian music to be the new big crossover hit making money machine thing! People that say things like that give me the creeps. I've kind of bad mouthed the Putumayo label before and if they keep saying stuff like that, I'll probably continue to do so. So why then am I even posting this? Well, because this one is pretty good. Putumayo Presents: Mali is a keeper. Maybe they should Market this as, "Mali is the next Mali!" This is a consistently good compilation. 80% of their compilations are not consistently good. Putumayo is so out of ideas that they put out stuff like, Music From the Tea Lands, Music From the Chocolate Lands, and Music From the Coffee Lands for the sole purpose of pushing them at Starbucks. What's next? Music from the Cat Lands that they sell at Cat Shows? But I digress, this is one of the good Putumayo label compilations even though it seems kind of criminal that Ali Farka Touré is not represented here.
Wiki Mali
AMG Entry

Track List:
1. Maninda - Moussa Diallo
2. Kanawa - Habib Koite And Bamada
3. Ouili Ka Bo - Idrissa Soumaoro
4. Bassa Kele - Mamou Sidibe
5. Bana - Issa Bagayogo
6. Amassakoul 'N' Tenere - Tinariwen
7. Gembi - Ramatou Diakite
8. Koulandian - Keletigui Diabate
9. Fala - Tom Diakite
10. Kanou - Boubacar Traore
11. Saramaya (Live) - Habib Koite & Bamada

Quick Stats:
Putumayo Presents: Mali
57 MB
160 kbps (lame)
http://rapidshare.de/files/21885697/CrapMali.rar.html
pw = MaliCrap

8 Comments:

At 5/31/2006 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sez password "CrapMali" is incorrect (?)

 
At 5/31/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Whoops, you're right.
The pw = MaliCrap
sorry.

 
At 5/31/2006 8:32 PM, Blogger marxbert said...

haha, these comments were utterly hilarious for some reason.

 
At 5/31/2006 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This crapblog is freakin' hilarious. I had a lot more to say, but I'm laughing too hard. Inside. You can't see it. Even if I were laughing outside.

The crap is great too.

- 1/677th of the US visitorship (at this point)

 
At 6/01/2006 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

like the idea for the site. Love Putumayo so thanks for this one!

 
At 6/01/2006 9:50 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

If I find another Putumayo Compilation that's ok, I'll post it. I should be able to find a couple more out of the 30,000 they put out a year. I think they have a contract with Libraries, because they seem to get 50 at a time.

 
At 6/01/2006 9:51 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Thanks marxbert your comments are always 90% welcome.

 
At 6/01/2006 9:54 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

You see anonymous, if I post oddball kinds of stuff I don't expect people to really look at this blog very much. So it gives me an opportunity to be an idiot in front of a small select group.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home