Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I mentioned I had it and someone requested it,

So I posted it.
So there!
Portugal: The Story of Fado.

Warning: The last second of track 21 and the first second of track 22 has a small glitch. Once again, this came from the Library and some of the CDs look like a dog used it as a chew toy. However, only 10% really end up being unlistenable or unfixable. The two glitches on this aren't that bad and only last a 10th of a second. I can live with small glitches like these and I'll try not to post anymore things with artifacts. Ok, back to the CD. Oddly enough, the person that requested this is actually from Portugal and wants me to e-mail him or something if I post it. After I do this, I suspect I'll get a few people from Portugal looking at the words I'm writing right now. With this in mind, I'm not going to write much about Fado for fear of looking like a moron in front of Portuguese people that know far more about it than I do. I'll be honest, I'd never heard of Fado until I saw this CD and was mostly attracted by the cover. The guy looked sneaky and sinister so I thought it might be interesting. I made a good call on this one because It's damn good. I can't understand anything they say, but the singing is so expressive and the music so mournful that you get the idea. Fado means Fate or Destiny in Portuguese and these songs are all stories that end tragically. Ok, this is pretty much where my Fado knowledge ends, but I do know that I really like this Fado Compilation. The Hemisphere Compilations in general are done very well and tasteful.
Wiki Fado entry
AMG Review, "You won't find a better single-disc introduction to Portugal's heart-wrenching brand of blues. The word "fado" literally means fate, and there is a real sense of human fallibility in the singing and playing on every track. The selections were culled from recordings from the past 30 years, but this fine thread of humanity runs through them all. Beautiful music, tastefully programmed." (Escape Goat note: "Portugal's heart-wrenching brand of blues" is really pushing it, but I do see what the reviewer is getting at.)
Amazon info
Track List:
1. A Casa Da Mariquinhas - Alfredo Marceneiro
2. Nao Venhas Tarde - Carlos Ramos
3. Tia Macheta - Berta Cardosa
4. A Tendinha - Hermina Silva
5. A Rosinha Dos Limoes - Max
6. Rosa Enjeitada - Maria Teresa De Noronha
7. Partir E Morrer Um Pouco - Antonio Dos Santos
8. Foi Na Travessa Da Palha - Lucilic Do Carmo
9. Foi Deus - Amalia Rodrigues
10. Lisboa A Noite - Tony De Matos
11. Aquela Janela Virada Pro Mar - Tristao Da Silva
12. Fado Das Caldas - Vicente Da Camara
13. Belos Tempos - Fernando Farinha
14. Colchetes De Oiro - Hermano Da Camara
15. Fadista Louco - Antonio Mourao
16. Saudade Vai-Te-Embora - Fernanda Maria
17. Embucado - Joao Ferreira Rosa
18. Amar - Teresa Silva Carvalho
19. Saudade Mal Do Fado - Carlos Do Carmo
20. Arraial - Joao Braga
21. Ate Que A Voz Me Doa - Maria Da Fe
22. Carvalo Ruco - Nuno Da Camara Pereira

Quick Stats:
Portugal: The Story of Fado (Hemisphere label compilation)
75 MB
160 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/21809203/crapofado.rar.html
pw = fate

4 Comments:

At 5/30/2006 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, here i am...

nice post, great response time ;)

tahnk you!

 
At 6/01/2006 9:45 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

No problem, hope you likeed it.
Thanks for the e-mail with the info too.

 
At 6/05/2006 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx. I love fado and I'm not from Portugal ;P

 
At 6/05/2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

You're welcome,
glad you like it. I really like it too.
I didn't mean to imply that you had to be from Portugal to like Fado. I just thought it interesting that a Portuguese person requested a Fado CD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home