Friday, July 07, 2006

Auf Wiedersehen

The 2006 World Cup will soon be over. I thought that this would be a good time to remind you all that I, Larry Chupacabra, really am a different person from Escape Goat. I am not just an alias. Escape Goat invited me to help out with his World Cup theme by posting CDs from my own collection, CDs that I did not find in a library. Since the World Cup is drawing to a close, my job is done. Barring unforeseen circumstances, this will be my final post to this blog. Keep looking at this fine blog, though. I know I will. I'm sure Escape Goat will be posting plenty more crap.

For my final entry, I chose Black Earth by the German band Bohren & der Club of Gore, since the atmosphere evoked by this album is a pretty fair reflection of my mood at the end of the Germany-Italy semifinal. Dark, sad, all of that. Just look at the album cover. (Actually, the real album cover is a little different. Think of the album cover for Smell the Glove by Spinal Tap. It's flat black, with the skull and lettering done in a shinier, slightly darker shade of black. I tried to scan it once, just to see what I'd get, and, as expected, simply got a solid black square.) The best description I can give of this music is that it would not seem out of place in a David Lynch film. It reminds me very much of the creepy dark spooky music that Angelo Badalamenti wrote for, say, Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet. It's sort of jazzy, but not jazzy in a good, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, kind of way. Jazzy in a bad way, evoking a dingy, sleezy nightclub with velvet wallpaper and nasty-looking people giving you the evil eye. The band calls it "horror jazz", it's got smoky saxaphone, simple snare drum keeping the slo-o-ow beat, echo-y keyboards, and a bass that will rattle your china. Really, there's stuff all over my house that rattles and buzzes when I play this CD. Every song on this CD is slow and malicious. Every song. Let me say this clearly: this is a relentlessly oppressive CD.

But it's a cool CD if you like that kind of thing. I like it, really, I just don't listen to it very often. I haven't been giving track lists in my posts, but I think it's worth doing here:
1. Midnight Black Earth
2. Crimson Ways
3. Maximum Black
4. Vigilante Crusade
5. Destroying Angels
6. Grave Wisdom
7. Constant Fear
8. Skeletal Remains
9. Art of Coffins
See what I mean? The CD is quite long (99MB ripped at 192), making it that much more oppressive.

I have no prediction for the third place match. I just hope Germany and Portugal both show up ready to play. Third place games between sides that really don't care, because they didn't make the final, are a bit depressing.

http://rapidshare.de/files/25235866/Gore.rar.html
pw = BlackCrap

2 Comments:

At 7/08/2006 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry, I would really appreaciate for your effort to publish such nice post. But, Larry please continue with this blog or you may choose another one. I'll really miss you. And I dont want to loose you..bye...

this is anado

 
At 7/08/2006 11:38 PM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

Wow, thank you very much for the nice comment, anado. I will probably reappear from time to time on this blog, but not on a regular basis. Maybe if some special event takes place in the world I can do a related post, kind of like the world cup thing. But this is Escape Goat's blog to do with as he pleases, and I respect his commitment to his theme, posting only recordings he got from the local library.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home