Friday, June 30, 2006

Julian Cope hat eine Menge LSD eingeworfen. So viel ist schon mal klar.

Rideyourpony, the person responsible for the wonderful TWILIGHTZONE! blog, has recently posted a couple of Julian Cope recordings. I thought I would join in and post a little something by Mr. Cope to represent the English squad, which faces Portugal in a quarterfinal match today. So here it is, Peggy Suicide by Julian Cope.

Although Julian's ingestion of hallucinogenics certainly affected his music, it isn't really what I would would think of as "psychedelic". And for that matter, this album was released in 1991, by which time he was able to write "...I used to take so much LSD in the old days...", so it's less acid-tinged than his earlier material. My point is, don't be expecting spaced-out, trippy guitar solos and such.

So, what can you expect? A little of this a little of that, really. This album is a bit of a mixed-bag. There are a few tracks I could do without, such as Safesurfer. There's nothing wrong with writing a song about AIDS, it's just that this particular song does nothing for me. There are quite a few tracks that I do dig, though. There's Soldier Blue, written about the riots at the Anti-Polltax Demonstration on March 31, 1990, which features a bit of Lenny Bruce. There's Western Front 1992 C.E., which features three women singing under the Waterloo Bridge, yielding an incredibly cool echo-y sound. There's, ...well, you listen to it and pick out your favorite songs. There's a pretty wide variety from which to choose.

As far as the game, what can I tell you. I want England to win, so Portugal probably will. I expect Brazil will win also, but you didn't need me to tell you that.

Thanks to square dancer for assisting on my headline.


That's Julian on the left.

And now, ripped at 160 to keep it under 100MB,
http://rapidshare.de/files/24583768/PeggyCrap.rar.html
pw = SoldierBlue

5 Comments:

At 7/01/2006 8:24 PM, Blogger square dancer said...

Julian Cope hat eine Menge LSD eingeworfen.

There you go.

 
At 7/01/2006 11:40 PM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

Thanks. I was able to come up with all of that except I had a different verb at the end. I just had no idea whether or not the sentence I came up with would sound silly to someone who actually spoke German.

 
At 7/02/2006 6:10 PM, Blogger square dancer said...

Which verb would you have used? English isn't my first language, but I guess "LSD einwerfen" is the most accurate translation of "to drop acid". It's more of a colloquial term though, so you probably won't find it in most dictionaries.

 
At 7/02/2006 10:36 PM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

Well, I first translated "has taken a lot of LSD" and came up with the verb "genommen". I wasn't so sure that really meant taken as in "consumed", so I was going to use "gegessen" for "eaten". But I wanted the colloquialism, what a German would actually say in place of "dropping acid". I also wasn't sure if Menge would be taken as meaning "a large quantity" or simply "a quantity".

 
At 7/13/2006 1:09 PM, Blogger RYP said...

Ich könnte es nicht besser sage!
I couldn't say "Julian Cope hat eine Menge LSD eingeworfen. So viel ist schon mal klar." in any better way... I'm german.
drugs you don't smoke or sniff etc. will be "eingeworfen"! It's simply another word, popular in the drug-scene, instead of "eaten"!

Escape Goat, thanks a lot for Cope

 

Post a Comment

<< Home