Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Cup of Java?

Hello, L. Chupacabra here. I know my job is to post tracks ripped from vinyl on this blog, and I am working on some vinyl for y'all, but in the mean time, I thought I'd offer up this recording. It's not crap I found at the library, but I think it fits in pretty well with Escape Goat's motif. I present Javanese Court Gamelan, recordings of the Pura Paku Alaman, Jogyakarta, directed by K.R.T. Wasitodiningrat. It's on the Nonesuch label (which is always a good sign), part of their Explorer Series.

A gamelan is basically a percussion ensemble made up of xylophones, gongs, drums and other crap. The liner notes for this disc claim that "the epitome of the playing style are to be found in four princely courts, two each in the neighboring cities of Jogyakarta and Surakarta." This recording was made in one of these courts, the Paku Alaman in Jogyakarta, on January 10, 1971. It's a decent recording, and gamelan music is not quite like anything else you are going to hear. You might not find yourself humming the tunes in the shower, but I think you'll find it's worth a listen.

http://rapidshare.de/files/36298246/gamelan.rar.html
pw = JavaCrap

3 Comments:

At 10/13/2006 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot, L. Chupacabra!

I don't know who tells you what your job is (posting vinyl!) ;) - but this here was a VERY FINIE JOB, highly appreciated!

I don't care if it's from vinyl, CD, cassette, radio broadcast, or wool socks. Since nearly no-one of us bloggers has the rights to the recordings, it doesn't make a different if the recordings are still in print or not - the rights are certainly in some hands of a record publishing company...

PS: I've been a fan of Javanese Gamelan since I've heard the Royal Gamelan Orchestra in Yogyakarta.

 
At 10/14/2006 2:02 AM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

First, you are welcome Squeezo. Thank you for your comments.

Second, this blog belongs to my good friend Escape Goat. He had a vision, he wanted to create a blog featuring music he found at his local library. He asked me to help with his blog, but I live in a small town with no library. After tossing around a few ideas, we settled me posting some of the more obscure things I have on vinyl.

Finally, this rule, this restriction I have of posting only vinyl recordings is basically self-imposed. (I.e. it is me who tells me what my job is.) Escape Goat was actually quite happy with my gamelan post. In the next few days/weeks I will be "cheating" a little bit more. Escape Goat has his hands full with some other issues, and probably won't be posting as often as he'd like to. Vinyl takes some time to do right, and I'd like to keep this blog current. So I'll be posting anything that seems to work, even if it's not vinyl. And I know E.G. is cool with that.

Again, thanks for your comments. Cheers.

 
At 10/14/2006 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, L. Chupacabra,
of course it's YOUR restriction!!!! I had the same idea when I started my World of M blog. I just wanted to post artists beginning with a M - restrictions for restrictions sake, haha ...
I'm happy that you feel free to cross your self-made restrictions if it comes to good music - it doesn't matter where it comes from.
Have a nice weekend, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home