Saturday, September 02, 2006

"An ape like me can learn to be human, too."

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot about the Children's section of the Library! Way, way in the corner past the little kid chairs and little kid tables they had a wall of CDs for little kids. Of course there is a lot of gobbeldygook like Barney and Rafi CDs, but there's also a lot of cool stuff like this. When I told L. Chupacabra that I was going to put this up he seemed pretty excited about it. I hope you are too because it's a fun thing to listen to and it will make you cool. Walt Disney's: The Jungle Book. This version is a fancy schmancy one that has been remastered and includes Demos and a 12 minute interview with the Sherman Brothers, the guys who did the music and lyrics.

The story goes that originally they were somewhat following Rudyard Kipling's 1894 story, "The Jungle Book" and Terry Gilkyson was brought in to do the music and lyrics. In an about face, Walt stepped in (This was the last movie Walt Disney oversaw. He died during production) and decided to lighten up the movie and Gilkyson's music was labeled too dark and heavy. So he brought in the Sherman Brothers to do the film score. They did however leave one Gilkyson penned song, "The Bare Necessities" on the film score that was nominated for an Oscar. This collection includes two original Gilkyson demos that were never released. They're both pretty gloomy, specially the first one, "Brothers All" and you can see why they didn't fit into Walt's light hearted vision of, "The Jungle Book." I never heard of Terry Gilkyson until now but he seemed to be a pretty interesting guy. From Eliza Gilkyson's site, his Daughter, "His work has been recorded by Johnny Cash, the Kingston Trio, Burl Ives, Dean Martin, Doris Day, Harry Connick, Jr., Louis Armstrong, Mitch Miller, the Brothers Four, Chad Mitchell Trio, Tony Bennet, Harry Belafonte, the Sandpipers, the New Christy Minstrels, and hundreds of others."

The Sherman Brothers weren't any slouches either, "In 2003, four Sherman Brothers' musicals ranked in the "Top 10 Favorite Children's Films of All Time" in a (British) nationwide poll reported by the BBC. The Jungle Book (1967)_ranked at #7, Mary Poppins (1964) ranked at #8, The Aristocats (1970) ranked at #9 and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" (1968) topped the list at #1."


If you want to read Rudyard Kipling's, "The Jungle Book", the whole dang thing is here:
http://www.online-literature.com/kipling/jungle_book/

For super cool kids, here's the sound track to the 1943 version of, The "Jungle Book" by Miklos Rozsa at kiddierecords.com.
http://www.kiddierecords.com/2006/archive/week_08.htm
(Thanks to Marxbert for the link)

Track List:
1. Overture
2. Baby
3. Colonel Hathi's March (The Elephant Song)
4. The Bare Necessities
5. I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)
6. Monkey Chase
7. Tell Him
8. Colonel Hathi's March (Reprise)
9. Jungle Beat
10. Trust in Me (The Python's Song)
11. What'cha Wanna Do
12. That's What Friends Are For (The Vulture Song)
13. Tiger Fight
14. Poor Bear
15. My Own Home (The Jungle Book Theme)
16. The Bare Necessities (Reprise)
17. Interview with the Sherman Brothers
18. Baloo's Blues
19. It's A Kick
20. Brothers All (Demo Recording)
21. The Song of the Seeonee (Demo Recording)

Quick Stats:
Walt Disney's Jungle Book
88 Mb
192 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/31599778/Crapli.rar.html
pw = Mowgli

8 Comments:

At 9/04/2006 4:54 AM, Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Thanks, Baloo : )

 
At 9/04/2006 5:28 AM, Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Yikes! Louis Prima.....and everyone else. Movies & Music for kids movies has
not changed for the better. Great reminder of great "old" music ; )

 
At 9/07/2006 5:34 AM, Blogger Phillip said...

Ok, here's the weird coincedence: I have a great cover of "Trust In Me" recorded about ten years ago by a band called Giant Ant Farm. Their singer, who also ran their label, was Dren Macdonald. He released (on their label Vaccination Records) a tribute comp entitled "Eyesore: A Stab At The Residents" (sorry, I don't own it.) Now that his band has broken up and their label folded, he currently works at... Ralph Records! (Ok, that wasn't really interesting to anybody but me. Thanks for the music anyway!)

 
At 9/09/2006 12:45 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Thanks Coffee,
There's lots and lots of stuff like this in the Kiddie section of the Library. Louie Prima is one of the very few 50s entertainer/singer people that I enjoy listening to. The Louie Prima and Keely Smith routines are still funny to watch. I think that's where Sonny and Cher got their whole schtick from.
By the Way, I prefer to be called Mowgli.
Come back soon.

 
At 9/09/2006 12:52 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Well thanks Cocaleca.
Rarely do I even have something in mind when I go to the library. I just randomly go to a section and start looking. When I saw this one, I thought alright, I'll post this one. I used to listen to it as a kid. I still like it now.
Have fun with the blog. That's what it's all about. Putting up random stuff like I do is what keeps it fun for me.
Hola Spain!

 
At 9/09/2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Hey Phillip,
That reminds me about the talk I had with L. Chupacabra. He mentioned something about a Los Lobos cover of "I wan'na be like you" and that reminded me of, "Stay Awake" http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Awake-Various/dp/B000002GFM/sr=8-1/qid=1157824300/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1342051-6593411?ie=UTF8

I had this on cassette years ago and it was amazing. It didn't dawn on me that the Los Lobos tune was on that. L. Chupacabra even has it on vinyl!
The track listing on AMG and Amazon are all messed up. They don't even list Los Lobos and The Replacements doing a pretty amusing version of, "Cruella Deville"

If you ever see this up anywhere snag it.

Thanks man.

 
At 9/09/2006 6:58 PM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

Yes, I do have it on vinyl. It's ripped already, so would be pretty easy to post here. The encoding may not be up to our usual standards, though.

 
At 9/12/2006 3:04 PM, Blogger marxbert said...

nice post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home