This aint no Luau Party!
You can't dance to it. If you play this real loud in your car and drive around with the windows down, people will not think you are cool. They'll think you are a lunatic freak.
Hawaiian Drum Dance Chants: Sounds of Power in Time isn't for everyone, it's more for ethnomusicologist type people. You know, the kind of people that smoke pipes and wear tweed jackets with the brown patches on the elbows and spend hours telling anyone that will listen boring stories about what, "Real" music is. Excuse me while I light my pipe. This is real music, but it can also be real repetitive.
This is another collection on the Smithsonian Label and it's been proven that by just listening to something on the Smithsonian Label will raise your I.Q. by 3 points. It kind of reminds of some Native American type music because of the bare bones simplicity of it. The drum is used in only about half of the songs and it's only there to keep some kind of time. There are no polyrhythmic shenanigans to be found here. The recordings on this run the gamut from early 20th Century wax cylinders field recordings to late 20th Century modern studio recordings. But It doesn't matter when they where done, they all kind of sound the same.
Like I said, this isn't for everyone and this aint no Luau Hula Party, but if you're an adventuresome soul and like to listen to music just because you want to hear what it sounds like, give it a shot. It's probably not something you'd listen to everyday, but it's worth listening to at least once. It also happens to have the best track list ever!
I only have one more Hawaii CD left and I'll post that tomorrow.
1. Mele Pule - Kau'i Zuttermeister
2. Mele Kahea - Hau'oli Lewis
3. Mele Komo - Noenoe Lewis, Hau'oli Lewis
4. Kau Ka Hali'a I Ka Manawa/Kauliua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - Noenoe Lewis, Hau'oli Lewis
5. Aloha E Ke Kai O Kalalau - Noenoe Lewis, Hau'oli Lewis
6. Hanohano Ka Uka O Pihanakalani - Noenoe Lewis, Hau'oli Lewis
7. Noho Ana Ke Akua I Ka Nahelehele - Brenda Lehua Hulihe'e
8. Ke Ala Ke Aloha Me Ka Hikina - Anthony La'akapu Lenchanko
9. Ku'u Wahine I Ka Ua 'Ulalena - Charles Albert Manu'aikohanaiki'ilili Boyd
10. Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - James Kapihe Palea Kuluwaimaka
11. O 'Oe 'Ia E Wailua'iki/Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - Samuel Pua Ha'aheo
12. Kau Ka Hali'a I Ka Manawa/'Au 'A Ia E Kama E Kona Moku - Samuel Pua Ha'aheo
13. 'Eia O Kalani Kamanomano - Keahi Luahine
14. Ke Akua I Ka Uwalo I Ka La'i E/Eia O Kalani Kamanomano - Kawena Pukui
15. Ke Akua I Ka Uwalo I Ka La'i E/A Hamakua Au 'Ike I Ka Pali - Hoakalei Kamau'u
16. Ulei Pahu I Ka Moku - Kawena Pukui
17. 'Ulei Pahu I Ka Moku - Hoakalei Kamu'u
18. Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - Keakaokalo Kanahele
19. 'Au'a Ia E Kama E Kona Moku - Keakaokalo Kanahele
20. Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale ale - Kawena Pukui
21. Au'a Ia E Kama Kona Moku - Kawena Pukui
22. Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - Kawena Pukui
23. A Ko'olau Au 'Ike I Ka Ua - Ka'upena Wong
24. A Ko'olau Au 'Ike I Ka Ua - Hoakalei Kamauu
25. Ku Oe I Ka'u Wahi 'Ohelo - Tom Hiona
pw = MoreHawaiianCrap