Monday, August 21, 2006

This aint no Luau Party!

You can't dance to it. If you play this real loud in your car and drive around with the windows down, people will not think you are cool. They'll think you are a lunatic freak.
Hawaiian Drum Dance Chants: Sounds of Power in Time isn't for everyone, it's more for ethnomusicologist type people. You know, the kind of people that smoke pipes and wear tweed jackets with the brown patches on the elbows and spend hours telling anyone that will listen boring stories about what, "Real" music is. Excuse me while I light my pipe. This is real music, but it can also be real repetitive.

This is another collection on the Smithsonian Label and it's been proven that by just listening to something on the Smithsonian Label will raise your I.Q. by 3 points. It kind of reminds of some Native American type music because of the bare bones simplicity of it. The drum is used in only about half of the songs and it's only there to keep some kind of time. There are no polyrhythmic shenanigans to be found here. The recordings on this run the gamut from early 20th Century wax cylinders field recordings to late 20th Century modern studio recordings. But It doesn't matter when they where done, they all kind of sound the same.

Like I said, this isn't for everyone and this aint no Luau Hula Party, but if you're an adventuresome soul and like to listen to music just because you want to hear what it sounds like, give it a shot. It's probably not something you'd listen to everyday, but it's worth listening to at least once. It also happens to have the best track list ever!

I only have one more Hawaii CD left and I'll post that tomorrow.
Aloha!
Track List:
1. Mele Pule - Kau'i Zuttermeister
2. Mele Kahea - Hau'oli Lewis
3. Mele Komo - Noenoe Lewis, Hau'oli Lewis
4. Kau Ka Hali'a I Ka Manawa/Kauliua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - Noenoe Lewis, Hau'oli Lewis
5. Aloha E Ke Kai O Kalalau - Noenoe Lewis, Hau'oli Lewis
6. Hanohano Ka Uka O Pihanakalani - Noenoe Lewis, Hau'oli Lewis
7. Noho Ana Ke Akua I Ka Nahelehele - Brenda Lehua Hulihe'e
8. Ke Ala Ke Aloha Me Ka Hikina - Anthony La'akapu Lenchanko
9. Ku'u Wahine I Ka Ua 'Ulalena - Charles Albert Manu'aikohanaiki'ilili Boyd
10. Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - James Kapihe Palea Kuluwaimaka
11. O 'Oe 'Ia E Wailua'iki/Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - Samuel Pua Ha'aheo
12. Kau Ka Hali'a I Ka Manawa/'Au 'A Ia E Kama E Kona Moku - Samuel Pua Ha'aheo
13. 'Eia O Kalani Kamanomano - Keahi Luahine
14. Ke Akua I Ka Uwalo I Ka La'i E/Eia O Kalani Kamanomano - Kawena Pukui
15. Ke Akua I Ka Uwalo I Ka La'i E/A Hamakua Au 'Ike I Ka Pali - Hoakalei Kamau'u
16. Ulei Pahu I Ka Moku - Kawena Pukui
17. 'Ulei Pahu I Ka Moku - Hoakalei Kamu'u
18. Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - Keakaokalo Kanahele
19. 'Au'a Ia E Kama E Kona Moku - Keakaokalo Kanahele
20. Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale ale - Kawena Pukui
21. Au'a Ia E Kama Kona Moku - Kawena Pukui
22. Kaulilua I Ke Anu Wai'ale'ale - Kawena Pukui
23. A Ko'olau Au 'Ike I Ka Ua - Ka'upena Wong
24. A Ko'olau Au 'Ike I Ka Ua - Hoakalei Kamauu
25. Ku Oe I Ka'u Wahi 'Ohelo - Tom Hiona

Quick Stats:
55 MB
192 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/30169001/Crapaii.rar.html
pw = MoreHawaiianCrap

9 Comments:

At 8/22/2006 11:05 AM, Blogger ~~ said...

thanks you !

I'm a kind of "ethnomusicologist type people" :)

I'm downloading it now....

by the way I've loved the australian aboriginal music you guys have posted, do you have some more ?

best regards

 
At 8/22/2006 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, thank you very much

do you guys have more of that australian aboriginal music ?

 
At 8/22/2006 11:18 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Aloha Deadbynow.
I don't have any of the Aboriginal Music on me at the moment, but it seemed to be popular. Next time I scoot to the Library I'll take a look and see what I can find. But I can't quarantee anything so continue to live your happy life if I can't find anything.

Thanks for commenting.
Comments are fuel for my posts.
Thank you.

 
At 8/22/2006 11:32 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Sorry Jumelo.
Here I am.
I really like to listen to things like this. I may not like it, but I'm glad I listened to it. I'm also glad that there are people like you that feel the same. I think it's important that things like this are shared with the world.
As far as Australian Aboriginal music is concerned, I'll do my best to find something.

Once again,
Thank you.

 
At 8/23/2006 8:14 AM, Blogger ~~ said...

alright, Escape Goat

thanks alot !!

 
At 8/29/2006 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahoy Escape Goat,

Just found your blog, went through the whole lot. Thanks a lot, great selection.
Have some Playasounds at home (West African, early 90 issues). If you're interested let me know.

Well thanks again, and HearYa,
famvd

 
At 9/09/2006 1:27 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Ahoy famvd,
I like the playasound recordings. They're the real deal. If you wanted to put some up for me/us I wouldn't object.

I'm glad you like the blog.

 
At 9/10/2006 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fantastic stuff!!

big big thanks ;)

 
At 9/22/2006 12:33 AM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Thanks MrC
I'm glad you like it.
I know the stuff I post isn't for everyone, but I think the people that do like it, really appreciate finding it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home