Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Phkh huhukhtf ftyty JIO gyiu GHiyio!

Richard Horowitz & Sussan Deyhim: Majoun
I'd never heard of this CD or the people on it when I picked it up from the Library. I know who they are now and wish I'd heard of them sooner because this was a pretty good find. I looked up Horowitz and learned that I DID already have something by him, the soundtrack to, "The Sheltering Sky" I'd thought that it was Ryuichi Sakamoto that did the whole thing. You have to look really hard, but Horowitz composed 3 songs on that soundtrack. Then I looked up Sussan Deyhim and she is referred to as the, "Iranian Diva" a lot. However, the term, "Diva" has lost all meaning since it seems any woman put in front of a microphone is labeled as a, "Diva" anymore. (Mariah Carey if you're reading this, I'm talking to you.) From what I've read, Deyhim's solo effort, "Mad Man Of God" is supposed to be impressive and I'm going to keep my eye open for it. (Hint Hint) She has her own website strangely called http://www.sussandeyhim.com/
Some reviewers said this CD sounded like Enya. I can kind of see what they're getting at, but it's not quite right. This is very much Middle Eastern music and has more of an underlying danger or doom than Enya. I also think Enya is snoozefest and I'd hate the idea that something I liked sounded like her. One person said it reminded them of Dead Can Dance and I can see that connection. It also reminded me a little bit of Sheila Chandra. My only tiny complaint is that Horowitz manipulates her voice a bit much on this one. I guess I'll just have to find her solo stuff to really hear her let loose and sing. All in all it's pretty good and I think you should give it a shot. Mr. AMG gave it 4 1/2 stars and said, " This feast for the ears almost defies classification."
Track List:
1. Majoun
2. Kye Kye (Who is Who is)
3. Agonethi (Shadow Maps)
4. Whorl on the Mount of Moon
5. Coldest Day
6. Ipissima Verba
7. Murmur Mutanta
8. Botachine (Infinitely Curved)

Quick Stats:
Richard Horowitz & Sussan Deyhim: Majoun
85 MB
192 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/26242300/HoroHim.zip.html
pw = Crapjoun

2 Comments:

At 7/23/2006 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a pretty cool album, for anyone lurking who's into stuff like Dead Can Dance or Sheila Chandra, I got this via reviewing music for an indie zine some years ago.

 
At 7/23/2006 12:05 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

I agree 100%.
My first thought was Sheila Chandra, but that was probably more due to the first song than anything else.

Thanks for the Comment.
A fellow Mid Westerner.
Escape Goat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home