Sunday, August 13, 2006

Aloha, L. Chupacabra

My friend and sometime collaborator, L. Chupacabra is in Hawaii right now on vacation. He even sent me a postcard that had a picture of some things on it. He's a good friend.
So for him and Hawaii I put up some nice music. Aloha is a Hawaiian word that can mean many things depending on the situation. It can mean, "Hello", "Goodbye", "My feet smell", "Your feet smell", "I'm deathly allergic to peanuts", "Only use peanut oil when cooking my food", "I don't think I like you." and, "You are a good friend." So be careful when you say, "Aloha" because you could get in trouble or maybe die.

Vintage Hawaiian Music, Vol. 1: Steel Guitar Masters (1928-1934) These songs all came from 78s and in some cases, there are only 1 or 2 known copies of the disc. Believe it or not, by 1916 more Hawaiian records were sold than any other type in the U.S. I tend to believe it since that is what it said in the liner notes. Mr. AMG says, "Highlights include one of the earliest known recordings of "My Little Grass Shack" and Jim & Bob, the Genial Hawaiians' smooth and lowdown "Hula Blues." A perfect introduction to the music." This is a pretty fun collection to listen to since it reminds me of the music from SpongeBob SquarePants. If you have a little party in your dirty apartment, you should probably play this to have a good time. You should also give your loser friends Hawaiian names by going here.,
http://www.hisurf.com/hawaiian/names.html
This is a good place to learn all about Hawaiian Steel Guitar. There's even music and videos.
http://www.hsga.org/

One interesting thing about this collection is there's a mysterious track 16 that isn't listed anywhere on the CD or any websites. All I need to tell you is that it features a Kazoo and some scat singing. You know what to do.
ALOHA!
Track List:
1. Na Pua O Hawaii - George Ku Trio
2. Hula Love Medley March - Hilo Hawaiian Orch.
3. Waikki Waltz - King Benny Nawahi
4. Ellis March - Tau Moe
5. The Road To Paradise - Unkown German Orch.
6. Wang Wang Blues - Sam Ku West Harmony Boys
7. Lady Be Good - Sol Hoopii Trio
8. Dinah - King Benny Nawahi's Red Devils
9. Na Ali'l - George Ku Trio
10. Lirios - S. Cortez Y Sus Hawaiianos
11. Palolo - Charlie Wilson
12. My Little Grass Shack - Kanue And Lula
13. Medley Of Old-Time Waltzes - Walter Kolomoku
14. Maile Lau Li'l Li'l - Kalama's Quartet
15. Hula Blues - Jim & Bob, The Genial Hawaiians

Quick Stats:
Vintage Hawaiian Music, Vol. 1: Steel Guitar Masters (1928-1934)
65 MB
192 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/28841845/MasterCrap.rar.html
pw = Aloha

5 Comments:

At 8/14/2006 7:00 PM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

I was going to bring you some Hawaiian music upon my return (in just a few days), but I guess now I'll just keep it for myself, since you already got that covered.

Aloha.

 
At 8/17/2006 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site, great choices, and I even laughed out loud
at one point. (It's PK, you intended to be funny - I think)

How does a Theremin sound again?

 
At 8/17/2006 10:51 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Whhhoooooooohohowhohohohohohohohh whooooooooooooo. Exactly like that. Amazing isn't it? I can do it all day long. I'm doing it right now.
Thank you for your comments...except for the laughing out loud part. I don't think I like that.

What is this, "PK" madness you are talking about?

Cheers, come back.
More Hawaiian music to come.
I also have a Yodeling CD I can't wait to post!

 
At 9/06/2006 1:33 AM, Blogger The Impaler said...

Yow! Great stuff! I think I may know whose collection a lot of this material came out of.... but I won't tell.

Rounder did a CD of Hawai'ian Steel Guitar 78s from just after this and there are some ab-so-lute GEMS on that one.

I've been looking for this one for a while, thanks, and I'll add your site to my links page one of these years :)

 
At 9/09/2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Thanks Impaler,
They had a few other Hawaiian music titles. It appears to be a series. I really like this one. I looked at a blog of yours and it looked really interesting. When I have a few minutes I'll link it from here if that's ok.
Once again, thanks neighbor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home