Thursday, July 20, 2006

"I'm the other kind"

Hello. It is I, Larry Chupacabra. I realized I had a few things I can still legitimately post on this blog, crap that I found at my local library back in the days when I used to use the library as a cheap source of music. A good example of this is an album by Steve Earle and The Dukes, titled The Hard Way.

You probably know something about Steve Earle. He plays "country music", but not your average ordinary country music. I can't really call it country rock, because that brings to mind something else entirely, but it is country music that rocks. Country music for people who don't like country music. Anymore, his music has become very political. He's almost a modern day Woodie Guthrie. (Not musically like Woodie Guthrie, but spiritually.) Actually he's always been a little political. Some of his early albums include songs about the Vietnam War, and this album features Billy Austin, which deals with capital punishment.

This was Steve Earle's fourth album, and the last studio album he recorded for several years. He had to take a bit of a break, due to serving a prison sentence for drug possession. In fact, he recorded this album while his "well-documented addiction to heroin & cocaine was spiraling out of control". Earle says he "almost died in the process of making" this album. As a result, it's a little hit-and-miss. It has a few easily forgetable tracks, like Hopeless Romantics. However, it also has some real classics, like the chilling Billy Austin and The Other Kind.

Incidentally, I am going to be away from this blog for a while. I will be cut off from the internet for almost a month. I'm sure Escape Goat will keep you all happy in the mean time with plenty of his crap. When I return, he wants me to post some of the more obscure things I have on vinyl, rather than sticking to a library motif. So that will be the plan. Until then, aloha.

http://rapidshare.de/files/26456475/HardCrap.rar.html
pw = BillyAustin

3 Comments:

At 7/21/2006 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

long live boss
welcome home...

anado

 
At 7/22/2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Thank you for your cryptic comments.

 
At 7/29/2006 2:26 AM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

Thank you anado for your boss comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home