Friday, September 08, 2006

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you,


Happy Birthday Saxophone Colossus, happy Birthday to you.
This isn't what I had in mind for this entry, but they were playing Sonny Rollins on the radio today and said it was his Birthday. HEY, I just got a Sonny Rollins CD from the Library! What better time to post it then on his Birthday? I got home and started getting this ready when I found out his Birthday was YESTERDAY! I guess the radio dum-dums couldn't double check their facts. It's a good thing you have me on the case. This is: What's New? and it was originally released in 1962 . Mr. AMG says,
This excellent album deserves to be reissued in full on CD but some of its
music remains out-of-print. Many of these songs find Sonny Rollins utilizing the Latin rhythms of Candido in addition to his regular quartet members (guitarist Jim Hall, bassist Bob Cranshaw and drummer Ben
Riley
) and, on the calypso "Brownskin Girl," a vocal chorus interacts with
the group. The highpoint is a lengthy "If Ever I Would Leave You" that is quite exciting. This underrated music is well worth an extensive search.


Track List:

1 If Ever I Would Leave You
2 Jongoso
3 Bluesongo
4 The Night Has a Thousand Eyes
5 Brown Skin Girl


By the way, Sonny turned 76 on Sept 7.

Quick Stats:
Sonny Rollins - What's New?
60 MB
192 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/32449008/CrappyRollins.rar.html
pw = Birthday

5 Comments:

At 9/09/2006 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice addition of Sonny Rollins, Escape Goat (although it's hardly "Crap").

If you (and by you I mean anyone reading this comment) haven't already heard Saxophone Colossus, do yourself a favor and check it out.

 
At 9/09/2006 12:38 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Thanks J.
Just because I say something's crap doesn't really mean it's crap. I call everything crap.

I also have Saxophone Colossus and I agree that it's pretty dang good. Tenor Madness is also pretty good.

 
At 9/15/2006 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this! I really like your blog. It's very straightforward and unpretentious. It has one of the best blog names EVER, too. I like the fact that your posts are somewhat predetermined and limited by whatever your library has (be it great or just pretty good - it's probably better than most, from the way it looks here), and you just sift through it and give us your take on what you post. Nice.

-Dave

 
At 9/22/2006 12:36 AM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

You're very welcome Julioxo.
I really like the idea of being able to put stuff up like this just because I feel like it.

 
At 9/22/2006 12:42 AM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

WOW! I do believe that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about the blog. I do appreciate comments. They kind of fuel my energy about posting stuff.
Don't worry, I won't get a big head or anything like that. I'll always remain the same grounded goofball I've always been.

Thanks Dave,
Thank you very much.
It truly made my day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home