Saturday, October 21, 2006

"They're Neat."

That's what it says on the reverse side of this picture disk, "They're Neat." This is my one and only picture disk. These days, every cd is covered with a picture or some snazzy graphics. But back in the days of vinyl, nearly every record was just plain black. Some albums were released on colored vinyl, often making them collectors items worth a bit of money. Rarer yet were picture disks like this one.

Killdozer is a band from Madison, Wisconsin that took their name from a short story by Theodore Sturgeon (one of my favorite writers). They made "sounding like crap" into a fine art.

I only saw them live once, but it was a memorable show. I went with two friends, one of whom had seen the band several years earlier in Madison and had hung out with them a bit. Before the show started, he was really excited to be seeing them again. The other guy I was with knew nothing about the band, but figured that if we thought they were cool, the band must be cool. Not long into Killdozer's set, they both wanted to leave as quickly as possible. The guy who hadn't heard them before thought they were horrible. The guy who had seen them confessed that he just figured that if the band had been playing shows for all these years they must have gotten better. No! You don't get it! This is what they do, it's their thing! I was loving the show and insisted on sticking around.

Later in the show, the lead singer, Michael "Mr. Romance" Gerald stormed off the stage and out the room. The room, by the way, was an old warehouse that had recently been turned into a space for low-budget, all-ages shows. The only seating was in the form of several old discarded sofas and easy chairs. Teens sat around burning incense and smoking cigarettes. When Michael finally returned to the stage, he berated the audience for burning incense, yelling that it was hurting his throat. I could kind of sympathize, but I thought that was pretty funny coming from a guy who sounds like he lives on a steady diet of gravel and gin.

Anyway, this picture disk, For Ladies Only, is an album of covers of songs from the 70's. Cover songs are what these guys do best, really. They are pretty merciless when making someone else's music sound bad. I prefer their version of Sweet Home Alabama on the compilation album God's Favorite Dog and their horrendous version of Cinnamon Girl, but the songs on this album are pretty fun. In particular, I love the complete destruction of one of my favorite songs from the 70's, Funk #49 by the James Gang. For Ladies Only was produced in 1989 by the soon-to-become famous Butch Vig at Smart Studios in beautiful Madison, Wisconsin. This picture of the band looks pretty similar to the pictures that appear on the reverse side of my picture disk. Mr. Gravel-Voice is the guy in the middle.


I intend to follow this post with Killdozer's first album, Intellectuals Are The Shoeshine Boys Of The Ruling Elite (the CD version includes the album Snakeboy as well). Unless, of course, someone beats me to it and sends me a link. I also plan on posting God's Favorite Dog. If anyone has a link to this recording, please send it to me. It would save me the trouble of ripping it from vinyl.

Anyway, here are the songs they chose to massacre:

  1. Hush (orig. by Deep Purple)
  2. Good Lovin' Gone Bad (orig. by Bad Company)
  3. Burnin' Love (orig. by Elvis Presley)
  4. You've Never Been This Far Before (orig.by Conway Twitty)
  5. One Tin Soldier (The Legend of Billy Jack)
  6. Take The Money And Run (orig. by Steve Miller)
  7. American Pie (orig. by Don McLean)
  8. Funk #49 (orig. by James Gang)
And here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/176860/LadiesOnly.rar.html
pw = OnlyCrap

9 Comments:

At 10/22/2006 5:34 AM, Blogger n8w8 (nightwatch) said...

American Pie (orig. by Steve Miller)

That's not right. That song is written and performed by Don McLean.

Nice post, though.

 
At 10/22/2006 3:47 PM, Blogger Evil Do'er said...

nice post,
here's the tribute album I got as a promo yesterday..
VA - We Will Bury You - A Tribute To Killdozer
disc 1 71MB/192
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x96dj1
disc2 71MB/192
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lmjazu

 
At 10/26/2006 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice I listen album
and few more

the like big and slow machine
soft hard noise....

only band sound similar is Melvins

 
At 10/26/2006 9:33 PM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

Thank you all for your comments.

Thanks, n8w8, for catching the slip.

 
At 10/27/2006 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is awesome. I remember the first time I heard their version of 'Never Been This Far Before'. I was working at a mexican restaurant in the food court at college. It pretty much blew my mind.

Also, Wisconsin represent! Or something like that.

 
At 10/27/2006 7:20 PM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

Thanks for the links, evil do'er. I'll check those out.

anonymous, I don't have a good story about where I was when I first heard Killdozer, but I know the first song I heard by them. It was a medley of southern rock songs that appeared on the cassette release Not For Geeks, Vol. II (which I still have).

 
At 10/28/2006 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post, great band, pretty animal versions. cant hardly wait for the next posts on 'em.

thanks,

julio.

 
At 10/28/2006 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you, this is one of two many bands that were nearly vanished in this heavy pile of too many good bands.
cheers, kellerdozer

 
At 9/04/2007 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a major Killdozer lover.
I gotta tell ya:
you're neglecting to mention their BEST albums, both material and recording-wise:
Lil Baby Bunting (Vig)
12 Point Buck (Vig)
God hears The Pleas Of The Innocent (Albini)
These 3 are absolutely ESSENTIAL albums. They are all available @ SoulSeek,@ 320kbps
I also am THE BIGGEST MELVINATED MELVINATOR that ever lived.
I've also seen them live with the Melvins.....AWESOME.


herrsatan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home