Friday, May 19, 2006

Mmmmmwwwwaaaawwwaaaaa


Mmmmmwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhwaaaaawwwaaa mmmmwwwwaaaaa waaaaaaaannnnnnnn.
That's what a Didgeridoo sounds like. I can do it pretty good huh? Wiki Didgeridoo The crap du jour is, Rough Guide: Australian Aboriginal Music. I posted this to punish Australians for not looking at my crap. So you other people from Countries not looking at my crap, be warned. The Rough Guide series of CDs does the Compilation thing very well. On the other hand, the Putumayo CDs are really hit and miss. The Library has a boatload of them. If in doubt, go with a Rough Guide compilation over a Putumayo Compilation every time. Not that the Putumayo series is bad or anything, it's just that their music selections for the CDs seems a little contrived and pandering.
This particular compilation seems to go for a very respectful approach towards Aboriginal music. It runs the gamut from the very traditional to the very modern. The idea is to let the listener know that Aboriginal music is more than just a half naked guy sitting in the sand blowing through a wood tube.
Track list:
1. Saltwater - Dusty Legune & Campbell Allenbar
2. Kurongk Boy, Kurongk Girl - Ruby Hunter
3. Native Born - Archie Roach
4. Tjapukai Sunset - Tjapukai Dancers
5. Wongga Initiation Song - Rimijmara
6. Bullima - Mark Atkins
7. Kava Song - Waak Waak Jungi
8. Birth Songs - Mornington Island Dancers
9. Drag Net - Jimmy Murray
10. Heart Of My People - Tjapukai Dancers
11. Sik O - Christine Anu
12. Nyindi-Yindi - Arnhem Land
13. Buthamar - Budal Lardil
14. Celebration - Gapu
15. Bushfire - Alan Maralung
16. Black - David Page

Mark Atkins, the guy on track 6, is a bigshot on the Didgeridoo and has performed with, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, Hothouse Flowers, Philip Glass, and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

Quick stats:
Rough Guide: Australian Aboriginal Music
66MB
160 kbps
http://rapidshare.de/files/20879638/Aboriginal.rar.html
pw = oioioi

Here's a short video of a half naked guy blowing through a wood tube for some tourists.

6 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

๋ีJust found you via SFRP. I'm living in the 3rd world,&there is no local public library. The closest thing is The British Council, which used to have a few CD's , but now they concentrate on teaching English and the few CD's have disappeared and most of the books,too.
So, delighted to have found your blog, Am about to D/L the half-naked guys with their wood tubes and a few others.
Hope you'll keep posting as I find it a lifeline to a wider world.
All the best,
belubettlo.

 
At 5/19/2006 10:41 PM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

Thank you.
For you, I'll grant you a request. If you have any kind of Musical Genre you'd like to listen to, I'll do my best to try and find something and put it up.
Once again, thanks for the kind words.

 
At 5/21/2006 12:25 AM, Blogger L. Chupacabra said...

Bastet & Corwyn have recently posted Australian music also. You might want to check it out.

http://bonzasheila.blogspot.com/

 
At 5/21/2006 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said, "any kind of musical genre you'd like to listen to". Well, anything except Thai is fine with me, but if I can make a request, I'd like to hear some Tzigane (Hungarian Gypsy), which shouldn't be too difficult for you to find.
I'm especially fond of the Rough Guide compilations (heck,I'll even listen to Sufi music if it's RG!), and I've got a few RG compilations (Music of France,which I got from bonzasheila and may still be available there, Cajun & Zydeco, Fado,& Pakistan,which will go well with Sufi,), and if anybody wants any of them, just give me the word.
As for the Tzigane, I know very little about it so any introduction or general compilation would be fine, but if you're stumped about what to choose, I believe a guy named Bratsch is one of their top guns.
Thanks and cheers.

 
At 5/21/2006 11:53 AM, Blogger Escape Goat said...

I'll see what I can do and put it up soon.
I have the Cajan and Zydeco RG I have a Hemisphere Comp of Fado, which I may put up, because I really like it
Thanks for your comment.
I'll do my best to find something.

 
At 5/29/2006 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please post the fado comp...

i found this blog throug google but i pass by sfrp a lot.

if you upload you could drop me a line so i coud link to this blog in www.tugamp3.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home